When preparing for a medical device sales interview, there are certain important points to consider in order to increase the chances of success. A successful interview requires thorough research, adequate practice, and an outstanding presentation. Knowing the right techniques and strategies can help one shine in their medical device sales interview.
Research the Company and Position:
Before any interview, research is key to being prepared and coming off as knowledgeable. For a medical sales interview, you should research the company and position. It is recommended to review the company’s website, as well as read other online reviews and news articles. A good understanding of the company’s mission, products, and services, along with its current goals and objectives, will help one to answer questions appropriately and impressively.
Research the Company’s Industry Niche:
- Read industry reports: Start by researching company and industry reports to get a better understanding of the medical device industry. Companies such as Frost & Sullivan, Synopsis, and MarketResearch.com provide detailed industry reports that help identify the size and growth of the medical device industry.
- Search the news: Read news articles that relate to the medical device industry to stay up-to-date on current market trends. Gaining a better understanding of the industry’s competitive landscape can be beneficial for the interview.
- Connect with experts: Search for and connect with seasoned industry experts for their insights on the medical device industry. Ask questions such as, What changes is the medical device industry undergoing? How do different companies compete in the industry? What have been some of the successes and failures of the industry lately?
- Keep ahead of regulation. Research and stay up-to-date on regulatory changes for the medical device industry. Determine any new regulations that might affect the company in the near future.
- Know customer segments: Identify the key customer segments and needs that the company’s products satisfy. Knowing and understanding the customer segments will give a clearer picture of the industry and where it is headed.
Research their Key Competitors
- Start with online sources like industry reports. Industry reports, such as those published by Statista and MarketsandMarkets, can provide helpful insights into the size of the medical device market, market geography, and key market participants.
- Visit the company websites of your targeted competitors. Conducting a review of the company’s website can give you an overview of their products and services, as well as the market segments in which they compete.
- Utilize publicly available financial documents. Reviewing annual reports, 10-K filings, and earnings transcripts is a great way to garner further insight into the financial position of companies.
- Use trade publications and other specialized sources. Medical industry trade publications, such as Mass Device and Medgadget, can be great sources of competitor analysis.
- Utilize social media. Conducting an analysis of the social media presence of your targeted competitors can provide an idea of how effective their promotional efforts have been.
- Network with colleagues. Reach out to colleagues working in your professional network who are already familiar with the market and its top players.
You should also research current trends in the medical sales industry and the challenges and opportunities it is facing. Additionally, read up on the interviewer if possible and be ready to ask relevant questions about the role, the team, and the company. Finally, research what skills and qualifications you need to be successful in the role.
Prepare and Practice the Answers
The second step in preparing for a medical sales interview is to practice the necessary answers. It is essential to develop a number of examples to answer possible interview questions. It is recommended to pinpoint one’s unique skills and interests and to practice providing examples of the best ways to demonstrate these strengths.
For example, past successes and specific strategies for managing time, resources, and relationships should be evident. Additionally, it is considered important to practice responding to hypothetical sales questions. Hypothetical sales response also includes the ability to generate innovative solutions in response to challenging customer scenarios.
Present Yourself and Your Qualifications Confidently
The third step when preparing for a medical sales interview is to present oneself and one’s qualifications with confidence. It is important to express a genuine interest in and enthusiasm for the position being applied for.
Being prepared with a few good questions related to the position, company, and industry can distinguish one from other applicants. Below are some of the questions that you may consider asking the interviewer:
- What is the typical career trajectory of successful sales representatives in this organization?
- What types of customers do you currently serve?
- How do reps usually go about generating leads?
- Are there any incentives or rewards for meeting or exceeding sales expectations?
- What kind of training or on boarding is provided?
- What are the company’s policies around travel and expenses?
- What unique or innovative products do you offer to customers?
- How do you measure the success of the sales team?
- How much autonomy do sales reps have in developing their product approaches?
- What type of support are reps given, both internal and external?
Also, dressing professionally and making eye contact while communicating are key elements of presenting oneself with poise. Allowing the interviewer to get to know their interests outside of the work place can help to make a positive impression.
Thus, taking the proper steps in advance of a medical device sales interview can increase the chances of success. This can include doing research on the company, practicing the necessary responses to interview questions, and presenting oneself confidently. With a strong focus on these key points, one can be confident and provide positive impressions in their medical device sales interview.
If you are a recruiter and would like to use our medical device sales recruitment services to find top sales people for your company, please visit our medical device sales recruitment page.